torsdag 7 augusti 2008

Longing for autumn

I am sitting inside my favorite bookcafe, dreading going home. This despite the fact that it is a 5 min walk. It is hot outside, around 35 degrees. I have always been a strong advocate of summer but soon I will switch sides. On the otherhand, just like in Sweden, koreans become more open in the summer. Alot of festivals, parties and live performances during the night. The amount of money I have spent on iced bevereged could have supported a small third world country. On the other hand eating seems less attractive so I save money that way.

Today is the opening cermony for the Olympics. It is a weird feeling. I spent two years in Beijing, it feels like my city. And when other white people start whining and complaining I tend to get a bit protective. What the heck did people expect? That suddenly a regime who has been more or less all powerfull for 60 years would roll over? If they had, then what? That said, I don't like them very much. On the other hand I think the exposure that the averege chinese will get to the international world because of the Olympics will do wonders for bringing the chinese people into the world community. If that is what they want. Chinese, and americans, are pretty happy with staying at home. They love their countries and the rest of the world is viewed as something kind of strange and far away. Swedish people on the other hand don't love their country, they only like it. And the rest of the world is as close as the nearest airport. That is why you meet swedes everywere you go. Compered to the relative size of the population, swedes are everywere. Somethime I wonder how big percentege of the swedes live as expats.

Back to the Olympics. I don't have a TV so for me it is streaming that will carry the day. The olympic fever is present here in Korea but not as high as I thought. Hopefully the opning cermony will go of with out a glitch, and it should be spectacular. Zhang Yimou is not known for producing anything boring or ugly.

Inga kommentarer: