fredag 7 mars 2008

Shopping as a Korean

I bought my first miniskirt yesterday. It is not nearly as short as some of the (non) existing ones I have seen on some korean girls. But never the less. It is a miniskirt. I have also bought ballet leggings and am contamplating brining back my bangs. This might be me trying to adapt to Korean society and fashion because it is not an attempt to blend in. On that issue I have given up. People stare here less then in China, but instead they give you sideway glances. My new hobby on the subway is trying to catch them looking, wheres they emberessed look away. But in general Koreans are very nice and even helpfull. If I manage to look loste enough I usually get some body to point me in the right direction ( This is were Beijing wins out, the straight streets make for easy navigation, Seoul does not seem to have a single straight street) My asian swedish friends are abit miffed over this, since they alway have to explain that they are not korean. Or if they are, that they have grown up in Sweden. I have no such problems. Older women can be either really helpfull (saving me seats on the subway, stopping anyone else from sitting down) or downright rude (pushing their way to the front of the line) The older you get, the less the rules aplie to you apperantly... The good becomes better and the bad worse.

3 kommentarer:

C-Belle sa...

I am looking forward to being one of those cranky old women with a very large handbag that I will use to shove people out of my way.

Oh wait. I do that already.

Susanna Seoul Searching sa...

Yes but you handbag is a fendi, your looks of a 25 year old. It is only your ...temper...that is the same.
It just one of the small things that bugs me when I am in a bad mood. Queing is an excellent tradition and it was invented for a reason. Plus korean elders are pretty spry, so I don't see the need to give up my seat for them. I secratly try to shove back. So far I have not been caught...

C-Belle sa...

Keep shoving back!

My people respect strength.

*LAUGHING*